Samurai Shodown for Switch launches December 12 in Japan [Update]Runs at 60 frames per second and supports one Joy-Con per player multiplayer.
The Switch version of Samurai Shodown will launch on December 12 in Japan for 6,345 yen, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals. It will run at 60 frames per second and support single Joy-Con per player multiplayer.
Early purchases will include a Switch version of Samurai Shodown! 2, which was originally released for Neo Geo Pocket Color in April 1999.
Samurai Shodown first launched for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on June 25 in the Americas and Europe, and June 27 in Japan.
A PC version of Samurai Shodown was previously announced for release alongside the Switch version in Q4 2019.
Here is an overview of the game, via SNK:
After more than a decade, Samurai Shodown is back! SNK is rebooting one of its most successful series, carrying on the legacy of past titles with a new game that retains the same thrilling battles of past titles in a graphically advanced package. Samurai Shodown’s gameplay is driven by the tense atmosphere of being one strike away from death, and the exhilaration of defeating an opponent with overwhelming power and attacks. Taking place between the events of the original game and Samurai Shodown V, the new game carries on the legacy of the one true weapon-based fighter.
- Exhilarating Weapons-Based Combat – Samurai Shodown carries on the legacy of the tense battles the series is known for, where players are always one strike away from death, and one powerful attack away from victory.
- Evolving the Presentation – Using the power of Unreal Engine 4, SNK is able to modernize the unique atmosphere and setting of past titles in a gorgeously artistic package that achieves a detail and graphical quality like never before.
- Unique Cast of Returning and New Warriors – Samurai Shodown welcomes back iconic characters from past iterations, including the swordsman Haohmaru, his rivals Ukyo and Genjuro, the shrine maiden Nakoruru, and fan-favorite Galford. The starting roster will include a total of 16 characters—13 veterans and three newcomers to the franchise.
- All New Gameplay – Carrying on some of the key fighting mechanics that made the series popular, such as the Rage Gauge, Rage Explosion, Sword Clash and more, Samurai Shodown will also include several new techniques, including a powerful, one-time use attack from each character called the Super Special Move.
- Revolutionary New AI System – Titled Dojo Mode, SNK has developed a proprietary AI system that learns from player patterns and creates a specific Ghost clone from that data. With this system, players can fight against their own Ghost or take on the Ghosts of top players in mock battles.
Update 1:20 a.m.: Added price and early purchase bonus.