The news comes via a press release from Japanese publisher Worker Bee, which will release the Switch version in Japan. The press release mentions that the game is also planned for release on “other consoles including Xbox One.”
Gematsu contacted BBG Entertainment for clarification. “Other consoles” also includes PlayStation 4, but whereas BBG Entertainment is already an approved publisher on Xbox One, it has yet to become an approved publisher on PlayStation 4.
The console version of Boulder Dash 30th Anniversary will be exhibited at Gamescom 2019, which runs from August 20 to 24 at the Koelnmesse in Cologne, Germany.
Here is an overview of the game, via its official website:
Boulder Dash 30th Anniversary finds our heroes, Rockford, Crystal, and others, facing a slew of new, exciting challenges in this legendary action puzzler. Dig through spectacular caves with 3D elements; avoid falling boulders and collect valuable gems and avoid nefarious enemies along the way. Discover treasure chests with rare collectibles and potent power-ups. With 280-plus exciting levels, 12-plus new, gorgeous worlds, and 10 playable characters, Boulder Dash 30th Anniversary is the best game in its 30 year history.
- 280 all-new levels with advanced physics!
- 12 Never-before-seen worlds, with new creatures with 3D animations!
- New multicolored gem combos, treasure chests, rare collectibles and spectacular power-ups!
- Premium world by vide ogame legend Peter Liepa who returns to the game he created 30 years ago with 20 of the most mind-bending levels yet!
- Play as Rockford or unlock nine other playable male and female characters including Crystal!
- Free Spins for prizes!
- First Boulder Dash game ever to include diagonal walls and movement!
- Languages: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Polish, and Russian!