Dengeki Online has published a new interview with Kingdom Hearts III director Tetsuya Nomura, who discusses the addition of “Critical Mode” and future downloadable content.
Here are the notable tidbits:
- As far as I can see of the specific data, including the download version, sales numbers were good and far beyond my own expectations. We’re currently working on downloadable content, so I don’t quite have the feeling that we’ve finished yet, and I’ve been sleeping less post-release.
- Before, Critical Mode was not in the original versions, but in the Final Mix versions [of the Kingdom Hearts games], so this time we’re going to release it as an update at a later date. It’s not about simply changing the numerical value to be stronger, we’re readjusting and debugging. Rather than just making it more difficult, we’re making adjustments to pinpoint a level of fun unique to Critical Mode.
- There is all sorts of speculation in regards to the Secret Movie, but it isn’t so simple that it can be understood at this point in time.
- While we’ve previously prepared “Final Mix” versions as separate packages, this time I want to add all additional elements through downloadable content. We will offer free downloadable content from what can be done through additional updates, but we’re also planning paid downloadable content to release several elements together as a batch. That being said, paid downloadable content will take a little while to produce, but I would like to finish within the year and have the team move on to its next work.
- As for the future of the Kingdom Hearts series, while we’ve had various discussions, whether there will be anything, or whether we do something is still up in the air. I already have a full schedule for the rest of the year.
The following tidbits should be considered spoilers (translated by Cory Arnold, as I have not finished—well, started—Kingdom Hearts III yet):
- (Will there ever be a chance to talk about the members of the Organization whose true names are unknown and Isa’s scar?) If there is a sequel, then we may have the opportunity, but I don’t know what I want to do with that yet.
- (It was pretty well explained how Roxas and Ventus were able to be revived, but could you shed light on how exactly Xion was able to be revived and enter the real Organization XIII?) I think it’s something that people could guess, but we plan to explain it in downloadable content.
- (We think players who finished Kingdom Hearts 3 are interested in the girl Lea and Isa are looking for as well as the Nameless Star in the Final World. Could you give some sort of hint as to who they are? Did they appear in any of the previous games?) I think you can guess who the girl is if you consider both the secret movie and the secret reports. As for the Nameless Star, we’ll find out in the future.
- (What kind of place is Scala Ad Caelum, which also appeared in the final trailer? It seems to resemble Daybreak Town from Kingdom Hearts Union χ; are they related?) Scala Ad Caelum and Daybreak Town have a connection that can be understood if you look carefully.
- (Who were those people in black clothes who appeared in Scala Ad Caelum?) They are replicas.
Kingdom Hearts III is available now for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
Thanks, Games Talk.