Original 12/26/18 at 3:00 a.m.: The latest issue of Weekly Famitsu offers a few new details on the recently announced Ys IX: Monstrum Nox for PlayStation 4 via an interview with Falcom president and CEO Toshihiro Kondo.
Get the notable tidbits below.
- The concept of the game is the subtitle “Monstrum Nox” (Monsters’ Night) itself.
- The game’s setting, Baldeux, is a three-dimensional town with different elevations. Its outskirts include grasslands, forests, and ruins.
- Set in an era after Ys Seven, Adol will appear at his oldest age in the series yet. His name as an adventurer is becoming known all over the world.
- Party battles and simple controls return. Additionally, the game introduces supernatural actions that lean on the supernatural abilities possessed by Monstrum. Wall-running and moving as a shadow are also possible.
- The new “Guild Operations” system is an expansion of Ys VIII‘s “Drifting Village” system.
- The hooded woman equipped with artificial arms and legs is a major key to the game’s story.
- Development is currently 50 percent complete.
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is due out for PlayStation 4 in 2019 in Japan.
Update 12/27/18 at 2:55 a.m.: More information has surfaced, via the latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation, which also has an interview with Falcom president and CEO Toshihiro Kondo.
Here are the tidbits:
- Adol is the protagonist.
- Adol’s name has become known all over the world since Ys VI. The increase in the amount of people that know of Adol is one of the highlights of the game.
- While there is a possibility that characters from past games will appear, they will serve a more minor role.
- As for the reason Adol comes to the Prison City, it is highly likely he got wrapped up in something based on his previous behavior pattern.
- The right arm of the woman in the key visual is artificial. She is a guide in this game. She is also the same woman that appeared on the countdown website.
- There are characters that becamse non-human Monstrum for certain reasons.
- The dream mentioned in the prologue is unrelated to Ys VIII‘s Dana dreams.
- You can climb onto and move across rooftops.
- You will be able to play as Monstrum during the course of the game.
- There is also flying-esque floating, as well as aerial state actions.
- Magic items have been abolished and will be consolidated into Supernatural Actions.
- The adventuring gear that appeared in Ys VIII will also disappear. Since there are too many items and categories, the plan is to organize such elements together.
- They would like map-making to stay. They also want to include fishing, but various elements have come up that are under consideration.