Obsidian Entertainment is funding the development of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, a sequel to its 2015-launched, critically acclaimed PC RPG, through a Fig campaign seeking $1.1 million.
Here’s the full overview of the game, via its Fig page:
Welcome Back to Eora
Eothas has returned. The god of light and rebirth was thought dead, but he now inhabits the stone titan that sat buried under your keep, Caed Nua, for millennia. Ripping his way out of the ground, he destroyed your stronghold and left you at the brink of death. To save your soul, you must track down the wayward god and demand answers – answers which could throw mortals and the gods themselves into chaos.
Your hunt takes you to the Deadfire Archipelago. Located even farther east than the colonies of the Eastern Reach, Deadfire comprises hundreds of islands spanning thousands of miles – ranging from lush tropics to barren deserts. Many of these lands have never been charted, while others are inhabited by rich native cultures and a new wave of colonial settlers.
Obsidian Entertainment proudly presents the sequel to our crowdfunded and critically-acclaimed role-playing game, Pillars of Eternity. Welcome to Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. With Pillars II, we are revisiting the rich narrative, beautiful environments, and tactical combat that made Pillars of Eternity one of the highest-rated PC games of all time. Having a development team of over 77,000 people made the first game possible, but your feedback and community support made it amazing! Our team wants to take you on a second journey to Eora. We couldn’t be more excited to get all of you involved in Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire.
- Explore Deadfire – Voyage by land and sea across the myriad islands of Deadfire to discover new cultures and environments. Help to resolve a multi-layered conflict between the locals, ambitious trading companies, and bands of fierce pirates while following in the footsteps of Eothas.
- A Living, Breathing World – The people of Deadfire have lives of their own, jobs to do, and appointments to keep. They will carry on with their affairs even when you’re not watching. If you don’t find the street gang in their usual haunt, a street urchin might be persuaded to tell you that at night you’ll find them at their flop house.
- New and Returning Companions – While some familiar faces will be returning, Deadfire will also present a fresh crop of travelers with stories of their own. Companions are tightly intertwined with the fate of Eothas and the Deadfire and will change based on the player’s choices over the course of the story.
- Enhanced Reactivity – Continue the story you began as the Watcher of Caed Nua in Pillars of Eternity, and see how your decisions and actions in the Dyrwood persist in Deadfire.
- Dynamic Weather – In addition to the rich and diverse environments, Pillars II will feature intense and immersive dynamic weather. Rains, fierce winds and sandstorms are among the harsher conditions that are commonplace in Deadfire. You’ll even hear the rain pounding on the roof when you go inside.
- And, There’s More – A new dynamic lighting and shadows engine bringing even more life to characters in the world, every spells and abilities revised new visual effects working in concert with the new lighting and shadow, scripted interactions that let you easily choose who participates, all new interfaces for inventory and dialog, new creatures, and much, much more.
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire has an estimate shipment date of Q1 2018.
Watch the Fig campaign video below.