Bloodborne expansion The Old Hunters launches via PlayStation Network for $19.99 on Tuesday, November 24, and Bloodborne title update 1.07, which adds a host of new features, is available today. Over at the PlayStation Blog, Sony has shared new information regarding both.
Get the details below.
The Old Hunters
The Old Hunters introduces many new horrific environments and enemies, as well as devastating new weapons and abilities.
Brador, seen donning the scalp and horns of a foul beast, is an ancient Hunter and assassin once employed by the Healing Church who sits in a dark cell, waiting for something—or someone—with bell in hand. And while exploring the new nightmare, beware of the Bell Holder. This massive enemy wields the Bell Axe and is one of the most formidable beasts you will face.
New weapons include:
- Bloodletter – A sick and demented weapon wielded by Brador. This weapon assumes its true form after drawing upon the blood of its wielder. In other words, you must plunge it into your own chest in order to unleash its true power.
- Gatling Gun – A portable version of the stationary rapid-fire gun that Djura uses to rain down lead from the tower in Old Yharnam. While it is great for rapid-fire attacks, it is also cumbersome and goes through Quicksilver Bullets very quickly.
Players will also discover a new rune called The Beast’s Embrace. After many failed experiments, this rune was forbidden from use. That did not stop its discovery from becoming the foundation of the Healing Church, however. Those brave, or foolish, enough to unleash the power of this rune take on a ghastly form and enjoy boosted transformation effects, especially when wielding a beast weapon.
Accessing The Old Hunters
Once you have purchased and downloaded The Old Hunters expansion, you’ll need to follow the below steps to access the new content.
- Defeat the boss of the Cathedral Ward and examine the altar in the back of the room to change the in-game time to night.
- Go to the Hunter’s Dream and receive the Eye of a Blood-drunk Hunter from a messenger.
- Go to the Oedon Chapel and leave via the left-hand exit to enter the square.
- 1. Go to the right-hand end of the square to trigger an event. This event will take you to the new area: the Hunter’s Nightmare.
- 2. Lighting the lamp in the new area will allow you to travel to and from the area via an Awakening Headstone in the Hunter’s Dream.
Title Update 1.07
Title update 1.07, available today, adds new features and drastically changes the online component of the game.
Update 1.07 also adds the “League” feature and introduces new NPCs into the game’s world. Join the League by meeting with Summon Master Valtr and obtaining the “Impurity” rune. You’ll need to summon him inside the shack to the right of the first lamp in the Forbidden Forest. Once you have memorized the “Impurity” rune, you will be able to access League ranking screens. Upon successfully completing a co-op session, you’ll receive the “Vermin” which you must crush to increase your points and therefore your position on the League leaderboard.
You will also be able to summon NPCs to come to your aid, just like cooperative play, including inside Chalice Dungeons. To do so, first you will need to acquire the “Old Hunter Bell” from the messengers in the Hunter’s Dream area. In some areas you may be able to summon up to two NPC Hunters, or a mix of one NPC Hunter and one other online coop player.
In addition, when there are players near you that have used the Beckoning Bell or Small Resonant Bell and are waiting to join a co-op session, they will appear in your game as an illusion or phantom with a ripple effect at their feet. That assumes they are within the correct level range and would be able to match with you.
View a new set of The Old Hunters screenshots at the gallery.