Dengeki PlayStation this week reveals the sixth playable character set to appear in Tokyo Xanadu.
Shio Takahata (voiced by Kosuke Toriumi) is 18 years-old and uses a large sword in battle. He is described as silent and humdrum. As the former head of the famous evil group BLAZE, he is missed by the group’s members, but had to leave in wake of an event that happened a year prior. It is rumored the team disseminated after that. However, someone misrepresenting themselves as BLAZE is going around causing various incidents.
Here’s an overview of Shio’s skills:
- Shooting Skill – Flare Slash: Send a fiery slash forward.
- Flight Skill – Blast Edge: Swing the sword downward and use that momentum to thrust forward at high speed.
- Strength Skill – Ignis Break: From the ground, aim towards the sky for the big finish.
- Cross Drive – “Crimson Raid”: This attack starts from the ground and delivers a number of consecutive slashes, then after a jump, generates a flame aura around Shio while he assaults the enemy.
In addition to Shio, a number of supporting characters are also revealed:
- Shiori Kurashiki (voiced by Ai Kayano) – Kou’s childhood friend who lives next door. She calls him Kou-chan. She’s conservative, but strong at heart. Since he began living on his own, she’s been worried about Kou’s private life and acts like a mother to him. She had a normal life, but gets caught up in an incident involving the Other World.
- Ryouta Ibuki (voiced by Atsushi Abe) – Kou’s friend from elementary school. He’s also good friends with Shiori. He’s a wholesome young man who dreams of a rosy high school life. Although he has a non-serious personality and is friends with many, he is worried that he won’t find a girlfriend.
- Jun Kohinata (voiced by Kanae Ito) – One of Kou’s classmates, who often hangs out in a group of three including Ryouta. He has a baby face, so he’s loved by the ladies. His personality is timid, but when it comes to friends, he’s the blunt and effective type. He’s also part-lukewarm otaku.
- Pink-Haired Girl – The girl from the footage shown during the PlayStation Japan summer lineup trailer. She is described as more of a regular high school girl compared to serious honors students like Asuka, Sora, and Mitsuki. She has wing-like objects attached to her back. Outside of her, there is the possibility of more player-controlled characters, but if so, they will be revealed down the road to release.
Because each playable character is equipped with their own Soul Device weapon that can be strengthened, there is no purchasing weapons in shops. But you will be able to customize your Soul Device via the following four elements:
Your parameters will see a big change depending on the Soul Cores you set. Fundamentally, you’ll set Soul Cores with the same attributes as the character you’re setting it for, but if you meet certain requirements, you can also equip Soul Cores of attributes different from the character.
- Regios: Fire attribute balance type.
- Vanguard: Wind attribute power type.
- Calatrava – Steel attribute magic type.
A grid for Shooting Skills, Flying Skills, and Strength Skills. When you strengthen the grid, you strengthen your skills, your offensive power will rise and your SP consumption will lower, etc.
Learn new and strengthen existing abilities.
- Brave Soul: If the damage you receive is more than your remaining HP, you’ll be left with 1 HP rather than die.
- Boost Combo: For every combo attack you land, the damage will rise with each attack.
- Auto Recovery Bar: When you’re with a partner, this will restore the player-controlled character from a near-death state.
Freely insert element parts to achieve various status enhancements, attribute resistance enhancements, and other enhancements.
- Wand I: Shadow attribute element. Increases magic attack power.
- Shield I: Steel attribute element. Increases defense power.
The Master Core has one slot, the Skill Grid has three slots, and the Ability and Free Grids vary by character. You’ll need to acquire raw materials and special items to learn and strengthen your abilities.
The voice cast for the game’s previously announced characters is also revealed:
- Kou Tokisaka – Shintaro Asanuma
- Asuka Hiiragi – Yu Shimamura
- Sora Ikushima – Ai Kakuma
- Yuuki Shinomiya – Daiki Yamashita
- Mitsuki Hokuto – Haruka Yamakazi
- Seijuroh Hokuto – Hirohiko Kakegawa
- Kyouka Yukimura – Chiaki Takahashi
Dengeki also has word on final pricing and a limited edition. The standard edition will cost 6,400 yen, while the first-print run limited box will cost 7,600 yen and include an original mini soundtrack, full color art book, and Kou and Asuka rubber straps.
Tokyo Xanadu is due out for PS Vita in Japan on September 30.
Thanks, Games Talk.