Falcom’s upcoming action RPG Tokyo Xanadu is a PS Vita title, the latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation reveals.
The game is set in the fictional “Morimiya City” located in the Tama district on the outskirts of Tokyo. The protagonists attend Morimiya Academy and get caught up in an otherworldly incident, and with it, a major conspiracy.
Dengeki PlayStation details the first two characters:
- Kou Tokisaka (Protagonist) – A 17 year-old second year high school student. Though brusque in his mannerisms, he’s not unfriendly towards others and is an archetypal modern day student all around. He uses a sword whip and specializes in mid-range attacks.
- Asuka Hiiragi – Kou’s classmate. She has an attractive face and figure, quick reflexes, gets excellent grades, and is class president. Though on the outside, she looks like a typical heroine… She wields a one-handed sword and specializes in close combat.
During the game’s modern parts, players will explore areas like the school and shopping district to trigger events before heading to the spirit world to progress the story. During spirit world parts, players will explore labyrinth-like areas and fight against enemies using weapons known as “Soul Devices.”
On February 26, Falcom will release a Tokyo Xanadu custom theme for PS Vita users to download.
Tokyo Xanadu is due out in Japan later this year.
Thanks, Hachima Kikou.
Update 8:00 a.m.: New details have come in from Weekly Famitsu’s via [email protected].
First, more character and world details:
- When the protagonist sees a new transfer student getting into a fight with some delinquent students, he goes over to help them. But at that point, he’s met with a strange vision of a girl retrieving a shining sword.
- Asuka is a returning student from overseas. She’s secretly investigating incidents related to the spirit world on orders from an organization that possess the Soul Devices.
- The spirit world isn’t normally detectable to normal people. The protagonists are able to do so after a certain catalyst is triggered.
- The game is set in a slightly different rendition of Tokyo from the real thing, thus the kanji for ‘kyo’ being different.
Next, tidbits from an interview with Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo:
- We’ve acquired a lot of know-how in developing the Ys and Trails games, but we wanted to try out a different field.
- So far there’s been Zwei!! and Nayuta no Kiseki, but we wanted to tackle a different title.
- The younger staff are taking the initiative of project planning and development.
- While the entire staff hasn’t changed, the young members are putting work into the costumes and setting.
- The game is a modern era/other world RPG where players will go on an adventure to solve mysteries and incidents.
- Action parts have a free-control camera.
- We also have jump actions.
- We’re considering things like targeting systems to make the game easier to play.
- The foundation of the game is made up of modern day adventure parts and other world action parts.
- They’re proactively designing the game such that players are better able to enjoy the story.
- Falcom’s attention to detail on town NPCs (e.g.: their backstory, movement patterns, etc.) remains present.
- We have a number of main characters, more so than the Ys series’ six characters.
- We have a large number of modern day characters. People that enjoy the teenage character style will take kindly to them.
- Tachikawa is the main setting in Morimiya City. It’s a town made up of a variety of spots in the Tama district on the outskirts of Tokyo.
- The city of Tachikawa is coordinating with the development team on events and merchandise.
- Launch is scheduled for after summer 2015. The main scenario is almost done and we’re currently toning up the action parts. I have no doubt we’ll release it by the end of the year.
- The voice cast will be announced before long.
- Production is progressing smoothly.
Update 10:47 a.m.: The first scan has surfaced.