Tropico 5, the latest in Kalypso Media’s city-builder series, is in development for a 2014 release on Xbox 360, PC, Mac, and Linux, the company has announced.
In the game, you’ll play as El Presidente and take control of the island of Tropico from the early colonial times and guide it through the centuries as the world moves forward. For the first time in the series, Tropico 5 adds co-op and competitive multiplayer for up to four players.
You will tackle the changing needs of your people, opposing governments and factions, and lay down the foundations of your dynasty. You’ll be able to promote members of your extending family on the island to positions of power such as ambassador, commanding general, or supreme ruler. And you must survive through World Wars I and II, prosper thorough the Great Depression, brace the Cold War, and bring your country into the modern age.
Here’s a full feature list, courtesy of Kalypso:
- The Eras – From the 19th century to the 21st, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities. Begin your reign during colonial times and advance your nation through the modern era and into the future!
- The Dynasty – Each member of El Presidente’s extended family is present on the island and may be appointed to key leadership positions, earning skills and experience in their assigned roles.
- Research and Renovate – Advance your nation by discovering new buildings, technologies and resources. Transform your old buildings into modernized, hyper-efficient designs worthy of an economic superpower!
- Advanced trade system and trade fleet – Amass a global trade fleet and use your ships to secure import/export trade routes to neighbouring islands and key nations.
- Explore your island – Discover what lies beyond the fog of war. Send prospectors to look for new mineral and ore deposits, but be wary of hostile animals and native tribes.
- All new art – All artwork is reworked to provide Tropico 5 with a distinct historic visual identity. Choose from over 100 unique buildings from each of the individual eras.
- Cooperative and competitive multiplayer – Up to four players can build up their own cities and economies on any given island map. Players can share resources and citizens, or declare war on each other.
Watch the first teaser trailer below.