Following a leak this weekend, Ubisoft has officially announced Fighter Within for Xbox One, a Kinect-based fighting game from Daoka due out at the console’s launch in November, at Microsoft’s Gamescom showcase.
The game promises to deliver on the “long awaited motion fighting promise,” inviting players to “prove their fighting skills and sharpen their plan of attack in order to beat their opponents.” Players will throw punches, kicks, counters, and combos in what Ubisoft describes as the “most immersive” fighting experience yet.
Find full details and a trailer below. View the debut screenshots at the gallery.
A gamepad cannot even scratch the surface of the true fighter within you. Expressing your inner fighter takes sweat, timing and training. Making full use of the Xbox One and the new generation of Kinect sensor’s exclusive technology, Fighter Within is the only game that provides the excitement of real fighting competition and lets you earn your bragging rights over your friends by proving your brawling skills. Fighter Within delivers the long awaited motion fighting promise, allowing players to throw punches and kicks in the most immersive competitive brawling experience. It’s physical, brutal and liberating.
Stepping into a fighting ring with your friends will never feel the same once you’ve tried it with your bare hands and feet, using a large array of realistic moves. Choose between many fighters all with distinct fighting styles and signature attacks. Discover how this realistic fighting simulator will set a new bar in immersive physically active bare knuckle fighting against friends and foes.
- New motion recognition drops you into the heart of the fight – Test your real fighting skills thanks to the next gen of motion recognition. Using the new Kinect technology, Fighter Within delivers realistic fighting moves using unprecedented 1 to 1 precision movement tracking.
- The first New Gen Fighting Game awaits you – Kicks, punches, counters, throws, combos, special moves, everything you expect from a fighting game is there, powered by new-gen jaw-dropping graphics, “in your face” animations, and impressive real-time damages.
- With great friendship, comes great ass-kicking – True friends don’t pull their punches. Let off some steam and earn your bragging rights over your best mates in ultra-raw fighting sessions. New Kinect’s power dramatically improves the local multiplayer experience, allowing you to invite and defy your friends over a good fight right in your living room.
- Think first, hit after – Skills are not enough to win a match superior fighting tactics will give you the upper hand. Use your surroundings to your advantage, choose the right moves and signature attacks that will undermine your rival, and finish him off with a devastating final blow.
1. What is Fighter Within?
Fighter Within is a motion fighting game designed specifically for the next generation of hardware. It provides players the excitement of an immersive and realistic multiplayer fighting competition making full use of the Kinect’s sensor on Xbox One.
2. What are the key innovations of Fighter Within in comparison to other fighting games?
Fighter Within delivers the long awaited motion fighting promise, allowing players to throw punches and kicks in the most engaging and liberating fighting experience, yet. Fighting game players are competitive players who like to compare each other’s skills. With classical fighting games, this comparison is made through their mastering of the game controls and the efficiency of their tactical mind game. In Fighter Within, we’re adding a unique and ultimate layer of fighting skills comparison: physicality. Now you can compare your fighting skills on all levels: gaming skills, tactics and physicality. Fighter Within elevates the fighting genre to a whole new dimension.
3. Fighter Within is a next-gen title using Kinect 2 so it’s brand new for everyone. What kind of experience can players expect?
Fighter Within embodies the next generation of fighting games. Kicks, punches, counters, throws, combos, special moves, everything you expect from a fighting game is there, powered by jaw-dropping next-gen graphics. The game’s “in your face” animations, real-time wounds, sweat and facial impacts propel players into the heart of the fight.
4. What did Kinect 2 allow you to do, that you could not have done with the Kinect 1?
Xbox One’s Kinect is a fantastic device and we’ll detail extensively what improvements it allows us to do later. Major improvements were made in the detection and responsiveness departments. Higher accuracy of the gesture tracking, coupled with significantly reduced lag, bring the immersion to an unprecedented level. But the most improved functionality is definitely the local multiplayer tracking, and we are taking full advantage of this technological advance.
5. Who would you say is Fighter Within made for?
We’d say Fighter Within is for everyone! It is your chance to pound your friends without hurting anything other than their pride, while blowing off some steam and having a great time.
Motion-fighting is the core promise of motion-gaming in a lot of players’ minds and we believe we’re finally delivering what people were expecting at the launch of the original Kinect. It’s physical, brutal and delivers a liberating experience. Both active and lapsed fighting game players should give it a try, especially Xbox One owners who want to make full use of the new Kinect’s multiplayer capabilities.
6. How closely did you work with Microsoft to make sure Fighter Within leverages all the features of Kinect 2?
Microsoft’s engineers support and close follow up was very helpful. We get regular feedback on the game experience and also custom XDKs to help us get the best of the new Kinect capabilities. It definitely made a great difference and allowed us to leverage the real potential of this new technology to bring the motion fighting game that players were expecting.
7. Who is responsible for the development of Fighter Within?
Fighter Within was developed over the last 2 years at Daoka studio by a core team who has gained unequalled experience on Kinect these last years. Ubisoft has supported the game development since 2011 with a dedicated production team, as well as some renowned internal and external consultants.
8. When is Fighter Within coming out?
The fight will get real Fall 2013. Start warming up.