First details on Tomb Raider‘s new multiplayer mode have come out of the Official Xbox Magazine. A forum poster has provided the breakdown. According to the mag, Crystal Dynamics acknowledges fans wil be wary of changes, but, as previewed by the mag, the “creation and execution are coming from the right place.”
At least two modes are confirmed. Team Deathmatch pits a team of Lara’s surviving allies against a group of hostile natives known as “scavengers.” The winner is the best of three matches, which alternates between sides. The maps are said to be not very wide open, but feature traps such as “spikes out of walls, climbable surfaces, destroyable environmental elements (like bridges), and weaponry like Lara’s now trademark bow and arrow.”
The second mode, Rescue, sees survivors collect a certain amount of medical packs to deliver to rotating destinations. Scavengers are tasked with reaching a certain kill count. The mode gives survivors a “bleed-out” time, which you can cut short with a “brutal” melee finisher.
A third game type, “Cry for Help,” is hinted in the mag. It will apparently place strong emphasis on “discovery any collection,” and adventure as opposed to combat.
It is unclear if there are other modes.
Other details include:
- Players can select from a “deep roster of characters” with “different states and loadouts.” Weapons include “primary firearm/bow, sidearm, grenade style projectile, climbing axe that serves as a melee.”
- XP gained can be applied to stats and purchasing more advanced characters.
- There is a map called “Wind Chasm,” a tropical environment with traps and vantage points.
- Lara doesn’t appear to be a playable character in multiplayer. Though, players can choose multiple of the same character.
- Some single-player actions have been sped up.
- The bow can be used to distract enemies.
- There are quick-time events.