Here is an overview of the game, via Nintendo.com:
The next evolution of Mario fun!
Classic Mario gameplay is turned on its head with Wonder Flowers in the Super Mario Bros. Wonder game! These game-changing items can make some wonderfully weird stuff happen. Witness pipes coming alive, wreak havoc as a giant Spike-Ball, and lots more!
Welcome to the Flower Kingdom
Mario and friends have been invited to visit the colorful Flower Kingdom, just a short hop away from the Mushroom Kingdom. Unfortunately, King Bowser has transformed into a flying castle and is causing chaos across their peaceful land. Now our heroes must save the day—and the Flower Kingdom—in this wonderous new adventure!
Who will you pick?
You can play as one of these heroic Super Mario characters!
- Mario – Mario is always ready to help a friend, take on a new challenge, or jump on a Koopa’s head!
- Luigi – Mario’s “little” brother. When these bros team up, there’s nothing they can’t achieve!
- Peach – The beloved princess of the Mushroom Kingdom, Peach is always ready to jump into action.
- Daisy – She’s got a gown and a crown, but this friendly princess is totally down to earth.
- Toads – Toads may be small, but they have big hearts!
- Toadette – This pink-and-white member of the Toad species gets really pumped up when she’s out to save the day!
Great for Beginners
Nabbit and Yoshis won’t transform with power-ups, but they also don’t take damage from enemies, so they’re perfect for players who are just starting out.
- Yoshis – Whichever color Yoshi you choose, they can all eat enemies, spit out stuff (enemies, shells, and other items), flutter jump, and help carry other players—even ones in Elephant form!
- Nabbit – This sneaky little fellow can turn any extra power-ups he finds into flower coins. Ka-ching!
You can really mix things up with these wild new power-ups!
- Elephant Fruit – You can transform into an elephant that can swing its trunk to trounce enemies.
- Bubble Flower – This lets you blow bubbles to defeat baddies or to bounce on!
- Drill Mushroom – You can drill through the ground (and ceilings!) and find new places.
You can collect different badges throughout the game and use them to get fun new powers!
- Action Badges – Grants an additional action to your character, like a Parachute Cap that lets you float down slowly after a jump.
- Boost Badges – Gives your character an additional passive ability, like earning coins for defeating enemies.
- Expert Badges – This grants an advanced skill to your character—experts only!
Share the Wonder With Friends and Family
You can team up with up to three friends locally on one Nintendo Switch system and race though these worlds together, or play with others online!
- Local – Up to four players can tackle courses together, share power-ups, and revive each other. Yoshis can also carry other players on their back to help each other overcome challenging courses!
- Online – With a Nintendo Switch Online membership, you can share your adventure with players from all over the world or play online with up to 12 friends in a Friend Room, with four players per course. Help each other out or see who can finish first! If you place a standee while you’re playing online, other players can use them to revive!
Super Mario Bros. Wonder is due out for Switch on October 20.
Watch the trailer below.