Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
In the superstitious heart of 17th century Europe, Alchemy is a mad new practice to be feared and forbidden. The Inquisition, a group of fanatical lawmakers with rising power, condemns Alchemy as heresy and intends to root out and punish Alchemists as the world’s most dangerous heretics.
As an Apprentice with a knack for unruly experimentation, you must master Alchemy in a world that despises it. Take on the mantle of your late mentor and inherit Old Imperial Star Observatory, a laboratory equipped with all the marvels, mechanisms and knowledge you need to become the new Master Alchemist.
The Last Alchemist is a science-fantasy game for management fans with a ravenous hunger for discovery. Lead the emergence of science and stop at nothing to ensure its survival.
- Deep Alchemy Management Systems
- Test, Transmute, Transform – Extract Essences from everything you collect, fuse them together and solve Alchemy puzzles to obtain the Properties you need for a thriving Alchemy career. There are over 200 Properties to discover, with wondrous—or dangerous—effects. They can make you run faster and jump higher, cause or cure your ills, and help or hinder your best laid plans.
- Conduct Risky Experiments – Grow carnivorous plants in your lab. Explode your Essence containers to observe what happens when they flow free. Combine bizarre ingredients without the proper analysis. The consequences could blow your mind… sometimes literally.
- Alchemical Mastery – Delve into a Research System that rewards you for analyzing everything you collect. Complete your Encyclopedia and become a fount of Alchemical knowledge.
- Immersive Production Cycle – Farm and harvest crops that could be vital to your experiments—or could take a bite out of you. Craft tools and construct machines to optimize production. Manage your daily activities and finite energy around a day and night cycle teeming with opportunities.
- Roam the Wilds – Explore rough but enchanting landscapes rich in resources, secrets, and fantastical plants that threaten more than just your progress. Discover ways to overcome obstacles, unlock new routes and use your surroundings to your advantage—allying yourself with strange and mysterious wanderers along the way.
- Meet The Agari: Your Little Mushroom Friends – You share your laboratory with the Agari, a local civilization of sentient mushroom creatures with a dark secret. These cute but cryptic folk run both the economy and the machines you need to optimize production. But you’ll have to work to earn their invaluable trust.
Watch the announcement trailer below. View a set of screenshots at the gallery.