HappyGiant has released a four-minute gameplay video of Sam & Max: This Time It’s Virtual!, its upcoming virtual reality Sam & Max game.
Here is an overview of the game, via HappyGiant:
Sam & Max: This Time It’s Virtual! is the Freelance Police’s first original game in over a decade, and the pair’s first foray into virtual reality. The game’s development team includes several team members that worked on the original Sam & Max: Hit the Road by LucasArts in 1992, as well as the Telltale series. The new action adventure title is slated to come out for virtual reality headsets in the first half of 2021.
For the first time ever, gamers will play not as Sam and Max, but alongside them, in virtual reality. Players will be recruited and trained as one of the few, the proud, the miscreant Freelance Police. As a new cadet, the player will be put through a series of graded courses set up by the duo inside an abandoned theme park, which probably harbors a dark and dangerous secret. As players progress, they’ll put their new skills to the test in Sam and Max’s neighborhood, as well as other locales that defy description (well, not really, we just don’t want to tell you about them yet!).
Fans will be happy to learn that HappyGiant has assembled an all-star team of Sam & Max veterans to help them develop the game. Steve Purcell, the creator of Sam & Max, is consulting on the game design, art, and story. Other team members include renowned concept artist Peter Chan, writer and designer Mike Stemmle, and Bay Area Sound. David Nowlin and Dave Boat are returning to voice Sam and Max.
- Experience the two-fisted japes and tomfoolery of internationally beloved icons Sam and Max in mind-melting virtual reality!
- So real you can feel Sam’s breath on your neck!
- Gape in stupefied awe as Sam and Max run amok through their sixth or seventh medium, leaving a trail of broken hearts and minds in their wake!
- Push yourself to be the best of the best of the middling, as a dog and a naked rabbity thing harangue you through different Freelance Police Academy training challenges.
- In an abandoned amusement park they have retrofitted, play as a trainee under Sam & Max’s tutelage/verbal abuse to become a member of the Freelance Police.
- Discover the horrible and socially relevant secrets lurking behind, under, and within Cap’n Aquabear’s rotting theme park!
- Give evil scientists and demonic trespassers their just desserts… with sprinkles!
Sam & Max: This Time It’s Virtual! will launch for unspecified virtual reality headsets in 2021.
Watch the footage below.