Publisher Dear Villagers and developer Nameless XIII, the new studio of Dontnod Entertainment co-founder Herve Bonin, have announced post-apocalyptic narrative survival game Cendres: A Survival Journey for PC. It will launch via Steam in early 2021.
“We are huge fans of ‘Choose your own adventure books’ and wanted to combine their often incredibly detailed and captivating worlds with the interactivity of an adventure video game,” said Bonin in a press release. “We found the post-apocalyptic setting offers the unique position to confront players with their own morality stripped of any rules or judgment from the real world. The game is really about questioning yourself and your own actions and decisions when faced with complex choices that are not black and white—it’s like peering into the dark corners of your own morality and finding out what’s lurking in the shadows.”
Here is an overview of the game, via Dear Villagers:
A survival journey through a harsh world without rules or judgement, only the player’s choices matter in the face of moral dilemmas. They’ll have to manage the party’s food and equipment and find their way through a dynamic narrative survival sim with 34 possible endings.
Set 200 years after the first geological disasters a group of survivors called The Section set out into a ravaged world. Their goal is to find a safe haven to their people, but to reach it they face a post-apocalyptic wasteland full of complex moral dilemmas. Get to know the intimate dynamics, relationships and tensions between the brave captain of the group Petra, the pragmatic fighter Sinh, the young optimistic scholar Kali and the cautious scout Nadir as you travel the end of the world.
- Make meaningful and difficult decisions in complex moral dilemmas.
- Discover a new path each time you play depending on your choice.
- 34 different endings.
- Get to know the group of four distinct characters.
- Manage your food, equipment and medication and protect the group from madness and despair.
- Travel and learn about this hostile world destroyed by a volcanic apocalypse.
- Seek and harvest vital resources in the wild.
- Overcome obstacles, violent encounters and the deadly climate on your journey.
Watch the announcement trailer below. View the first screenshots at the gallery.