Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! will launch for PlayStation VR on February 25 in the Americas and February 26 in Europe, Oceania, and Japan for $39.99 / 3,980 yen, developer Grounding, Inc. announced. A release date for the HTC Vive, SteamVR, and Oculus Quest versions was not announced.
Here is an overview of the game, via its official website:
Dance to Save the Galaxy—in Virtual Reality!
The Sega Masterpiece Returns as Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash!
Members of the original development team have returned to usher Space Channel 5 into a new decade. Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash! is set in “Space Channel 5,” the premiere space TV station of the 25th Century. For the first time, the player will physically join senior reporter Ulala as a rookie, by dancing, posing, and grooving while holding PlayStation Move motion controllers. Returning cast members join brand new characters in new stages and music for a groovin’ good time.
About Space Channel 5
The legendary music game Space Channel 5 was released for Dreamcast by Sega 20 years ago. Intended “for everyone who loves music, dance, and game”, the game introduced Ulala, a reporter for a future space TV station Channel 5. She battled mysterious aliens called Morolians with dance, rescued captured humans, and saved space. The game celebrated its 20th anniversary on December 16, 2019. After all this time, Space Channel 5 is still beloved and celebrated by many fans around the world.
■ Game Modes
- Main Menu – Select Mode.
- Story Mode – Join Channel 5 as a rookie reporter alongside Ulala.
- Arcade – Play an introductory mode recommended for VR beginners.
- Trial Dance – Play 100 dances in a row in this exercise and endurance mode.
- Viewing – Watch the story again through a third person perspective and multiple camera angles.
- Dressing Room – Change Ulala’s outfits as you unlock them through the game.
- Friendopedia – View character biographies.
- Calories – Track the calories burnt during gameplay.
- Downloadable Content – Coming soon.
Watch a new trailer below. View a new set of screenshots at the gallery.