The “new post-apocalyptic RPG” (Editor’s Note: We previously referred to this as “True End of Century RPG“) teased for PlayStation 4 and PS Vita last week is Metal Max Xeno, Kadokawa Games announced in the latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation. The game is described as a “love story between the protagonist and mankind’s last virgin.”
Here’s a list of the staff:
- Overall Direction: Yoshimi Yasuda
- Director: Hiroshi Miyaoka
- Producer: Juntarou Kouno
- Music: Satoshi Kadokura
- Character Design: Oda Non
- Monster Design, etc.: Atsuji Yamamoto
Metal Max Xeno will launch in Japan in spring 2018.
Update 3:00 a.m.: New details have come in.
- The game is set in the year 209X in a country called Nippon (Japan—it’s spelled out in Katakana).
- The protagonist is named Talis. Half of his body is mechanized, and he has the power to take on powerful monsters on his own.
- The heroine is named Toni. Her father was killed, but she was saved by Talis and sticks beside him.
- There is a mechanic named Yokky, who spends his days indulging in alcohol. His weapon is a huge wrench even bigger than himself.
- The tank is called “Crimson Avenger R-Wolf” and is designed by Atsuji Yamamoto.
- The enemy is “SoNs,” monsters whose aim is to eradicate all human life.
- On the field, you an launch a preemptive strike at enemies by firing from your tank.
Developer Interview Tidbits
- This is a tank and human RPG return to roots.
- While Metal Max 4 cannot be called a sales success, Metal Max Xeno is a return to roots and a rebirth, in a series different from the numbered titles, that sweeps the slate clean.
- The setup where Noah caused the great destruction and the Blood Corporation exists has not changed, but the time period is different.
- The setting is built to give off the feeling of Tokyo.
- The beginning of the game is “a journey where you will long see the destruction of mankind.”
- There are bounties and tank customization. This will be the fullest entry in the series yet.
- There are new elements such as a “Firing Mode” and an “Iron Base where the protagonist and company are set up.”
- Your first playthrough is a huge tutorial. Your second playthrough is the real Metal Max.
- Toni is “mankind’s last virgin.” The game may depict the “love between mankind’s last male virgin and female virgin. (Laughs.)”
- You’ll be able to listen to the “WANTED” music track. There are also plenty of new songs, but a sufficient amount of old songs are also in the game.
- Metal Max Xeno is the successor to the cancelled Metal Max: Wild Eyes.
- They’re trying to make an entirely new series that uses the distinctive characteristics of previous Metal Max games.
Update 3:50 a.m.: A few more details have come in, via an official preview from Dengeki Online. Metal Max Xeno is set in a ruined and desertified world, in which a story will unfold where mankind became an endangered species after being dominated by a mysterious mechanical force. The metropolis that is the setting of your journey is called “Death Tokyo.”
Update 5:05 a.m.: Here is Famitsu‘s preview scan: