The open beta test for the PC version of free-to-play massively multiplayer online action RPG Magic: Legends will launch on March 23, publisher Perfect World Entertainment and developer Cryptic Studios announced. A new trailer introducing deckbuilding was also released.
Here is an overview of the game, via Perfect World Entertainment:
From the developers behind Neverwinter comes a new top-down massively multiplayer online action RPG featuring fast-paced combat inspired by Magic: The Gathering. An ancient force moves in darkness, posing an ever-growing threat to the entire multiverse. Players will experience the power of becoming a Planeswalker as they discover exciting mana-based spells and strategically build out the perfect hand of balanced attacks to control the chaos of the battlefield. While openly exploring the vast planes from Magic: The Gathering, players will fight alongside iconic characters and legendary creatures made popular by the original card game.
- Become a Planeswalker – Players can choose from five diverse classes and switch between different Planeswalkers at any time.
- Walk Your Own Path – Players will need to cross various planes to save the multiverse, but how they weave their path is up to them.
- Control the Chaos – Control the chaos in real-time combat. Choosing what spells go into each hand requires strategy, as they will be drawn at random during attacks.
- Collect and Upgrade – Players will discover a myriad of spells and collect spell fragments to make them more powerful.
- Fight Together – The planes in Magic: Legends can be traversed alone or with up to two other Planeswalkers.
Here is a closer look at the first two classes announced for Magic: Legends:
- The Geomancer draws upon the power of the Earth to pummel enemies in close quarters with devastating stone and lava attacks. They are capable of absorbing blows that would otherwise incapacitate other Planeswalkers with their rock shield. Geomancers prefer to call upon creatures like goblins, kavu and earth elementals.
- The Mind Mage personifies cool intellect. As a Planeswalker that focuses on psychic powers, they can battle enemies from a safe distance, controlling projectiles with telekinetic powers, and lock down dangerous foes with spells that put them to sleep, or turn them against their allies.
For more information, IGN has gone up with a new preview of the game based off a recent hands-off demo presentation.
The full launch of Magic: Legends is planned for release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC in 2021.
Watch a new trailer below.
Update 01/27/21 at 9:30 a.m.: View a new set of screenshots at the gallery.