Red Dead Redemption 2 achieved the second biggest opening three days in the history of entertainment, Rockstar Games announced.
The sequel earned over $725 million worldwide in sell-through and was the second highest-grossing entertainment launch of all time next to Rockstar Games’ previously released Grand Theft Auto V, which achieved over $1 billion in retail sell-through in three days following.
The game set new records on PlayStation Network for highest ever pre-orders, day one sales, and highest sales for the first three days on the market
Red Dead Redemption 2‘s list of initial benchmarks include:
- Biggest opening weekend in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases
- Second biggest launch (three days) in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases
- Biggest entertainment launch of 2018
- Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network
- Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network
- Biggest first three days full game sales ever on PlayStation Network
Here is an overview of the game, via Rockstar Games:
An epic tale of honor and loyalty set in the dying days of the outlaw age, Red Dead Redemption 2 follows Arthur Morgan and the Van der Linde gang as they rob, steal and fight their way across the rugged heartland of America in order to survive. Following a botched robbery in the western town of Blackwater, the gang is forced to flee and, with federal agents and the best bounty hunters in the nation massing on their heels, deepening internal divisions threaten to tear the gang apart, leaving Arthur to make a choice between his own ideals and loyalty to the gang who raised him.
Told across the deepest and most expansive Rockstar world to date, Red Dead Redemption 2 is Rockstar’s first game built from the ground up for new generation hardware, and seamlessly blends gameplay and storytelling in a completely new way to deliver the experience of living as an outlaw in a notorious gang.