Welcome to our annual April Fools’ Day post, where we gather all of the April Fools’ Day stories from across the internet and compile it into one, easy-to-read list.
Unless we report it outside of this post, anything you read online today or tomorrow that sounds too good to be true probably isn’t true.
Find our annual roundup of games-related jokes below. The list will be updated as new jokes arrive, so be sure to check back every so often.
Added 4/1/16 at 8:00 p.m.
- ArmA 3 – Introducing “Arma” Eau De Combat, the new fragrance for players.
- No Man’s Sky‘s Sean Murray: “Long day coding, but so nice to see the microtransactions finally working.”
- Wayforward: “You’ll Never Guess Who We’ve Got Lined Up For Our Next Adventure!” Hit the link to find out these mystery characters’ identities.
Added 4/1/16 at 2:30 p.m.:
- Outlast: “Due to the considerable amount of backlash we received from concerned parental groups following the release of Outlast and Outlast: Whistleblower, Red Barrels has made the decision to release Outlast II under an ESRB rating of E.”
Added 4/1/16 at 12:10 p.m.
- Aksys Games: “After focus group testing. Zero Time Dilemma has decided to go in a more family friendly direction. BEHOLD!”
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: Upcoming sequel trading gold-and-black color scheme for pink-and-white. It’s the future.
- Game Informer: Read the latest issue of Game Infarcer, Game Informer’s annual April Fools’ Day pretend magazine.
- Hearts of Iron IV: Game delayed to Q1 2017. After getting feedback, the team realized that it needs to add Dance Dance Revolution mat integration. “No longer are you simply a passive observer, you can instead march in real time (soundtrack will be replaced with 100% marching band music) with your soldiers towards Moscow! Not enough for you? We have also developed a revolutionary Bucket DLC System(tm) that lets you slosh through authentic pripyat swamp water*, mud and scorching hot sand (requires oven (not included)).”
Added 4/1/16 at 10:30 a.m.:
- Bases Loaded: Bases Loaded VR announced, bringing up to date the game’s dated visuals in the most reminiscent way possible. “You can now immerse yourself in the professional baseball world packed with excitement with the special-purpose bat controller and VR goggles.”
- CD Projekt RED: Coming soon for only $4.99, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt‘s Roach downloadable content unlocked limited premium content—a horse you can finally identify with. Users who pre-order the content will receive an exclusive Roach sticker to stick on their gaming system.
- Croteam: Serious Sam 4 cancelled, Serious Sam 5 announced, and will continue where never-released-and-prematurely-ended Serious Sam 4 left off. The new Serious Engine 5 can now render billions of square feet of sand with no noticeable dropout in frames per second.
- Gust: Atelier Gust-chan announced.
- League of Legends – Happy Draven Day. This Draven Day, Draven’s replacing all champ heads with the only head approved by Draven: Draven’s (duh).
- Nintendo Life – Splatoon Legends announced for 3DS.
- Play-Asia: Introducing SafeGames, a new initiative designed to better serve the diverse community that is modern and progressive gamers and preserve the safety of its customers.
- Portal: Mel Stories: “”With the release of Portal Stories: VR closing in so soon, and after much consideration we’ve decided that it’s time for us to remove Portal Stories: Mel from Steam. We’ve carefully read through all the Steam reviews, and the 330 negative reviews we’ve received convinced us that we need to start with a clean slate.”
- r/XboxOne: Introducing the Xbox One.Five. “In order to meet the demands of the current gamer generation, we wanted to create something so so powerful that consumers would never need another console again.”
- Stronghold Kingdoms – Introducing Stronghold Kingdoms for the Nokia 3310. “Command peasants with controls redesigned for physical number pads.”
- Takara Tomy: Wixoss vs. Zillions of Enemy X Cross Fighters card game coming April, year 2106.
- Team17: Introducing Worms: Dating Revolution. “The Worms are no stranger to war, but the time has come for them to take to the toughest battlefield of all. The battlefield of love.”
- YouTube: Experience YouTube in SnoopaVision. That is, watch YouTube videos with Snoop Dogg sitting right beside you commenting.
Added 4/1/16 at 5:15 a.m.:
- Big’s Big Fishing Adventure 3: Announcing the Sonic game you’ve been waiting for: Big’s Big Fishing Adventure 3. The trial version can be played in your browser.
- Dark Souls III: Dark Souls: The Movie available on VHS on April 12. “A long time ago, in a world deep in the darkest ages, hellish fiends ruled over this land. But one man, will rise up, and raise a whole lotta hell. When you pick a fight with the devil, you’d better be stronger than hell!”
- Playtonic: “We can confirm that due to budget constraints Yooka-Laylee will now be released exclusively for Sega Saturn.”
- Warhorse Studios: Kingdom Come: Deliverance is coming to Super Nintendo.
- World of Warcraft – Hearthstone: The MMO announced.
- World of Warcraft – Patch notes for the Legion Alpha.
Added 4/1/16 at 3:20 a.m.:
- Ace Combat Wikia: Ace Combat Infinite Skies revealed for PlayStation 4. Revealed through a leak of Ace Combat Infinity data from Update 2.11 on March 31, 2016, and is currently scheduled for a May 30, 2016 release.
- Battle Girls High School: Introducing Idol Girl After School, which requires 3D glasses.
- Digimon Linkz: Battle against an Eater from Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth.
- Final Fantasy XIV: Introducing ChocoGo, the all-new, 100% green, chocobo-driven transportation initiative that will be launching soon in a city near you.
- Google: This is cardboard. Only plastic. Google Cardboard Plastic combines everything you love about virtual reality headsets with everything you love about reality.
- Happy Wars: Toylogic‘s Happy Wars becomes Happy Love: Casual Dating Simulator for the Toylogic Portable (TLP) and Toylobox One.
- Humble Bundle: The Humble Indie Font Bundle.
- IGN: Star Wars: Fury of Maul series announced, season one streaming on Netflix starting May 4.
- Miitomo Twitter: “Good news. We might release an an Amiibo of myself, Tomoshiru Miide. I’m a little bit nervous, but I would like to show you the result!”
- Monster-Hunter.fr: Monster Hunter Online confirmed for release in the west.
- Omerta Code: Tycoon Kai: Announcing Omerta Code: Vampire Blood, due out for PS Vita on March 17, year 20,016.
- Schoolgirl Strikers: Title changed to Schoolcats Strinyars, girls changed to cats.
- SNK Playmore: “King of the Monsters returns in a monumental movie to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the series!”
- Splatoon: Nintendo to release a “Squid Booth” that allows for Splatoon mobile gaming. Buy two to have up to eight players play together on the go. Release date and price to be determined.
Added 4/1/16 at 12:40 a.m.:
- @PSO2_na: A Twitter user has changed his/her username to @PSO2_na and is acting as “the official North American account for Phantasy Star Online 2.” It’s evil! Don’t fall for its lies!
- Spike Chunsoft (EN): Introducing 999: Nine Coins, Nine Purses, Nine Bears The Novel. Starring Monokuma, upupupupu.
- Street Fighter V: It’s a Street Fighter and Tekken crossover merchandise website. Cash.com, for all your fighting mania.
Added 3/31/16 at 11:40 p.m.:
- Aikatsu: Photo on Stage: A male unit-starring Aikatsu appears.
- Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm: The next work, “Neko no Kanata no Four Rhythm,” (Four Rhythm Across the Cat) has been announced.
- Arc System Works: Arc System Works is now a bridal planning company named Arcsy.
- The Idolmaster: Cinderella Girls Starlight Stage: For April 1 only, Chihiro Senkawa, the Producer’s secretary, is finally a playable idol.
- Kemono Friends: TV anime announced.
- Minecraft: The Minecraft 1.RV update brings gadgets and wearables like digital bracelets, miniature monitors attached to your glasses, and motion tracking devices to the game. Monsters will wear them, and you’ll use them.
- Monster Hunter Explore: Monster Hunter girl hunting action is born!
- Summons Board: Summons Board making the leap to home console?!
Added at Press Time
- 5pb.: Team Crow has hacked the 5pb. official website, now displaying products like “Steins;Gateboll,” “YO-NO,” and “Anonymous;Codaru.”
- Anonymous;Code: Official website hacked by Steins;Gate‘s Hashida Itaru, whose new project is “Anonymous;Codaru.”
- Asahi Beer: Introducing the Asahi Beer Dreamcast Server. (Sega’s response.)
- Bel-Epi: It’s Fate/stay night‘s Saber, reborn in the world of Osomatsu-san. This is Saber-san.
- Bravely Default: Another Bravely Default game, called Bravely Default: Burning Crow is in production.
- Bullet Girls: Production started on Bullet Boys, the male version of Bullet Girls that everybody asked for.
- Godzilla: Something has happened to the Shin Godzilla website… Godzilla x Evangelion?!
- Granblue Fantasy: A new mini-game called “Theatrhythm: Granblue Fantasy” is playable today within Granblue Fantasy. It has a fully-voiced story and nine songs.
- Nippon Ichi Software: The official website for PlayStation game Cooking Fighter Hao has been updated for the first time in 18 years.
- Goodsmile: Introducing the Nendrone, the next generation flying figure from GoodSmile Company.
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd Evolution: Official website updated with retro new look.
- Miku Expo: Hatsune Miku is going to space. The 2039 Miku Expo will be a concert tour across seven planets.
- Neko Works: Introducing… Neko VR.
- Nitroplus: A trailer for the TV anime “Tokyo Gurashi.” It’s like Gakkou Gurashi, but with Tokyo Necro characters.
- Random: Armoed Core 6 coming to PS4, Xbox One, and PC this October.
- Sony Japan: Introducing the “Proton Pack,” the world’s first ghost capture device.
- Sword Art Online: Code Register: Introducing Sword Art Online: Love Code Register, the Sword Art Online love adventure game you’ve always wanted.
- Taito: Taito has opened the official website for its new Aquamusement, its new game center and aquarium hybrid where you literally play arcade games underwater. Watch a 360-degree video here.
- Uppers: Uppers is now Oppais. Now that’s how you get more pre-orders, Takaki!
- Type-Moon: The official website for Type-Moon looks a little… different. Fate/Grand Order also has a similar pattern.
- Vooks.net: Introducing Sleepio, the next smartphone application from Nintendo following Miitomo.
- Wargaming Japan: Introducing Wargaming Japan’s next title, World of Wartrains.
- War Thunder: War Thunder adds sailing fleet battles.
- World of Warships: New update adds bathtub-themed map complete with rubber duckies.