It’s April Fools’ Day. That means that anything super special awesome you read today probably isn’t true unless we report it outside of this post. But for all the fun jokes that come, you’ll find them compiled here.
Find our annual roundup of games-related jokes below. The list will be updated as new jokes arrive, so be sure to check back every so often.
Added April 1 at 4:50 p.m.
- Idea Factory International – HyperKart Neptunia, a racer based on Hyperdimension Neptunia, is coming spring 2016.
- NIS America – Disgaea 5: iVengeance coming exclusively to iPhone.
- Splatoonus (Tumblr) – Splatoon is not a game, but the name of a new snack coming out in May. Have your squid and eat it, too.
- Square Enix – Life is Strange official plant on the way.
- StarFox-Horizons.com – Despite the website’s design, Star Fox: Horizons is not a Wii U title developed by PlatinumGames and Nintendo coming winter 2015. Luckily, a Star Fox game is coming to Wii U later this year.
- Stone Age Gamer – Introducing the NET64, bringing internet support to your Nintendo 64.
- Video Game Critic – 50 Shades of Grey for the Atari 2600 reviewed.
Added April 1 at 10:00 a.m.
- Bing – Introducing the Cute Cloud. “Puppies, kittens, teacup pigs, penguins, and more adorably cute things await you when you use Bing to search the Cute Cloud.”
- Diablo III – B’Motes Expression Packs coming to Diablo III. “Level up the standard emote selection with a mindboggling variety of new pre-recorded emotes and other social enhancements including both classic favorites and brand-new lines.”
- DramaFever – Video network for international TV shows enters the video game space with the launch of Kiss Quest: The Search for Oppa. Live out their fantasies of your very own K-drama.
- Dragon Quest Heroes – We’re not sure whether or not this one is a joke, but Square Enix launched a Dragon Quest Heroes Slime bubble-popping website yesterday, which just this morning reached over 10 million pops. And now, popping all the bubbles grants this reward: “A new adventure begins. The latest game in the Dragon Quest Heroes series is in production!” If this is real, we’ll wait till it hits April 2 in Japan before moving further.
Update 11:00 a.m.: It’s now April 2 in Japan. The website has been updated with a message thanking users for participating and announcing a total amount of 12.4 million popped Slime bubbles. There’s no mention of Dragon Quest Heroes II. If this is real, we’ll wait for an official announcement.
Update 11:35 a.m.: It seems there is a “heroes2” sub-folder on the Dragon Quest official website. Visiting this link brings you to a “403 forbidden.” Replace “2” with “3” or anything else, and you’ll just be redirected to the Dragon Quest homepage, meaning a “heroes2” sub-folder exists.
Update 9:16 p.m.: This was real. Announcement here.
- The Evil Within – Shinji Mikami’s horror survival game is getting a whimsical animated feature called The Evil Within: Into the Light, which connects the storylines of “The Assignment” and “The Consequence.”
- Harmonix – Announcing Romance Central. “Sign up for Romance Central today and meet the dancer of your dreams.”
- Marriland – Pokemon Zero and Pokemon Infinity launching worldwide in October 2015.
- Microsoft Office – Office 2016 for Cats now in preview. Download PowerPounce, OneNap, and Meow now.
- Minecraft – Introducing the “Love and Hugs” update, which will change the direction of Minecraft, “focusing on the things that make life worth living, promoting healthy relationships with the environment and its inhabitants.”
- Payday 2 – Download the Cash Catchem character pack.
- Razer – Introducing Project McFly, the hovering gaming mouse.
- Strongbad – Strong Bad dusts off his old computer to check some email.
Added April 1 at 8:40 a.m.
- Animax – Introducing the “Teburakuchin,” a goose underwear thing that makes multitasking with your smartphone a million times more convenient.
- GameXplain – Live Amiibo. An augmented reality makeover of Nintendo’s Amiibo figures.
- Inti Creates – Crimson Smasher Gunhammer announced. New project will be available on the Game Gear, Lynx and Virtual Boy.
Added April 1 at 7:40 a.m.
- The Binding of Isaac – The Bining of Isaac: Rebirth is coming to 3DS, Wii U, and Xbox One… with sme edits. A big leaf will cover up Isaac’s nudity, the word “God” will no longer be used, and all references to the Christian religion have been changed to Scientology references.
- Chiyomaru Shikura – The 5pb. and Mages exec has updated his Twitter profile to countless repetitions of the word “Otaku.”
- D4 – D5 announced. Full title: Dark Dreams Don’t Die with Deadly Premonition.
- Fatshark Games – Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide gets a new game mode called “Hammertime,” described as a “rat-infested tribute to American Baseball.”
- Futurlab – PlayStation 4 Velocity 2X bundle coming this summer.
- Heroes of the Storm – Introducing “Big Head” mode. “Have you always wanted to see chibi Illidan face off against a kawaii Lord of Terror?”
- Honest Trailers – Half-Life 3.
- Imgur – Imgur Plays Imgur, Imgur’s take on Twitch Plays Pokemon.
- KOEI UK – Introducing the new Zhurong.
- Luminous Arc Infinity – Special wallpapers added for download.
- Nintendo Life – The Legend of Zelda coming to broadway with The Legend of Zelda: Harmony of Hyrule.
- PlayStation – Introducing PlayStation Flow, the latest innovation in wearable technology that lets you control underwater portions of games by swimming in your nearest swimming pool.
- Rebellion Developments – Zombie Army THRILLogy announced. It’s the thriller! The thrill at night! Zombie Hitler has moves.
- r/XboxOne – Entire subreddit taken over by the United States Space Command Office of Naval Intelligence.
- Retro Collect – Super Mario Bros. “Peach Mode” cheat discovered 30 years later.
- Rovio Entertainment – Introducing
Agri Birds. “Plough the fields, tend to your crops, and trade goods with neighbors and friends to save your farm from being bulldozed by the dastardly bigshot.”
- Sonic Stadium – Sonic the Hedgehge Remastered announced for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. 2006’s Sonic improved, now at 4K and 60 frames per second.
- Superhot – Superhot is now Superqot, running on the Quake Engine. (This is a real thing you can actually download and play.)
- War Thunder – Developers recreating the ST-1 walking tank in the game.
- World of Warcraft – Introducing T.I.N.D.R., “a new feature designed to help your Followers locate the perfect complement to their Abilities and Traits.”
- Xenoblade Chronicles X – Official website updated.
Added April 1 at 1:00 a.m.
- Batman: Arkham Knight – Batmobile test drive campaign launched.
- Batman: Arkham Knight – Taking applications for the next Batman.
- Etrian Mystery Dungeon – Cave paintings of a Paladin were found on the 99,999th floor beneath the Aslarga Ruins, finally proving the existence of the Sekadan (an abbreviated version of the game’s Japanese title) civilization.
- IGN – New Back to the Future movie trailer: Fast to the Future.
- My Kagawa – 800 Slowpokes have escaped from the Kagawa Slowpoke Research Center.
- Kanpani Girls – The DMM.com online game is getting an iOS and Android tower defense RPG. It’s out on April 1… maybe.
- Tekken – Tekken x Galaga collaboration announced. It’s Galaga with Tekken characters as the ships.
- Think Geek – Steam-powered gaming console now on sale. Not Steam the PC platofmr. Actual steam. Burn coal to keep it running.
- Wargaming.net – World of Tanks: Operation Undead tower defense browser game released.
- World of Tanks: Xbox 360 Edition – Tanks on the moon. Playable between April 3 and 5.
Added March 31 at 9:40 p.m.
- Fate/Grand Order – Fate/Grand Order renamed Fate/Gudaguda Order (or Fate/Exhausted Order). The catch copy also changed from “A story to regain the future” to “A story to win one’s turn.”
- Google Japan – Google has invented a keyless keyboard, which types out Japanese characters depending on how long you blow into the device.
Added March 31 at 8:30 p.m.
- A Certain Series – A Certain Scientific Suzushina Yuriko announced. Key visual and trailer at the website.
- Tokyo Xanadu – Falcom president Toshihiro Kondo and Ika-chan playing every character in the upcoming PS Vita game.
Added March 31 at 6:40 p.m.
- Housemarque – Resogun developer announces the “Jarvis Project,” its upcoming virtual reality headset being developed in collaboration with Eugene Jarvis. It’s a box with an Xbox 360 hard-drive.
- WayForward Technologies – The Shantae developer announces its next original project. You Are The Winner! Go You! uses new ‘PlayForMe’ technology that “automatically collects coins, avoids obstacles, and defeats enemies and bosses before they ever get close.”
Added March 31 at 2:40 p.m.
- BFME3.net – The Battle for Middle-earth III: The Battle of the Five Armies announced. Whois reveals it is not an official Warner Bros. website.
- Google Japan – Google Panda announced. It’s like WikiBear, but it’s not evil. Ask it anything and it will answer. Its three main features are that it’s cute, it’s mobile, and it’s shockproof.
- YouTube User: Master – Dead or Alive 5: Hardcore announced for PS4 and Xbox One. New combos, three-versus-three battles, voice mode, a “Blockbuster” camera mode, and Dead or Alive 2 HD DLC.
Added March 31 at 1:44 p.m.
- ConoHa Mikumo – ConoHa, a virtual private server company, is entering the games industry with Mikumo Live! ConoHa Idol Festival. There’s an online demo you can play, and it’s just like Love Live! School Idol Festival.
- D3 Publisher – New TV program Decoy Squadron Otorinja announced featuring the decoy deployments of the Earth Defense Force as its main heroines.
- Daigo Umehara – Fighting game world champion Daigo Umehara to retire. His next challenge? To be an accountant.
- Dying Light – Exaggerated physics to be added for 24 hours tomorrow.
- Famitsu – Adobe Photoshop REAL announced. It’s an offline image editing tool for real life. It includes two real layers, a real zoom tool, real lasso tool, real eraser tool, real dropper tool, real spot correction tool, and a real Creative Cloud.
- Girlfriend (Beta) – Live-action movie in production. CyberAgent recruiting for student extras.
- Google Maps – Turn any map into a game of Pac-Man.
- GMO – Announcing the “San’niku Watch” (a parody of the watch from Yo-Kai Watch), which has the power to summon muscular men. There’s even a “San’niku Taisou Daiichi” video like the “Youkai Taisou Daiichi” videos.
- Granblue Fantasy – The girls of Granblue Fantasy have formed an idol group. Their first sing,e “Kimi to Boku no Mirai” is out today. The song itself is composed by Nobuo Uematsu and Tsutomu Narita, with additional work by Hidenori Maezawa. A download is available here.
- Granzella – Plans for Granzella‘s usual April Fools’ Day hi-jinks have been halted for “various reasons” and the company apologizes. It was able to prepare one video, however, of its Granzella News Network running a story about a flying man spotted outside of Kanazawa Station.
- The Great Ace Attorney – Watch the debut trailer for Inu Gyakuten Saiban: Inuhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken. It’s Ace Attorney with a cast of dog characters. The title is a play on The Great Ace Attorney‘s Japanese title, Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken. “Inu” means dog. The official website was updated, too.
- Hatsune Miku – Mikudayo comes to Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA Arcade.
- The Idolmaster – 765 Production and 346 Production have merged, forming the industry’s greatest entertainment production company: 1111 Production.
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Evolution – Official website re-branded as The Legend of Heroes: Sora no Falcom Academy Evolution (Trails in the Sky Evolution is called Sora no Kiseki Evolution in Japan). Coming to PS Vita on December 10.
- Nisio Isin – Shaft starting Nisekoi Monogatari, a cross between Nisekoi and the Monogatari anime series, as part of its 40th year anniversary.
- Senran Kagura: Estival Versus – Murasame, Ikaruga’s older brother, joins the game as a playable character. He’s finally turned Shinobi, and has transformed into a woman. And he doesn’t seem as upset about it as one might think. He’s voiced by the game’s producer, Kenichiro Takaki.
- Rockman Unity – Spring Roll-chan Festival 2015 announced. Runs today.
- Romancing SaGa 2 – Ants are attacking the world map. Save the world!
- Square Enix Japan – Tekken x Lord of Vermilion announced. Features 765 playable characters that can fight in 3D battles.
- Taito – Taito has announced the world’s smallest game machine, and it plays Groove Coaster Portable. By using the NESiCA MiNi included with the system, you can add additional songs. Just be sure not to lose it. It will launch at 999,801 yen (USD $8,332).
- Taito – Taito has opened a new spa arcade in Japan. Win shampoo and soaps in crane games, gamble while soaking in hot water, play hot water/music games, and more.
- Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late – Under Night In-Birtha Xnd: Cosign announced. A 3D fighting game often mistaken as 2D animation. Check out its hot graphics and three-versus-one battles.