The latest media blast for Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign, Arc System Works’ upcoming PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 fighter, introduces new background information on the recently confirmed downloadable content character Leo Whitefang, as well as specifics on the port’s online functionality, including details on the newly announced smartphone app for running tournaments.
Get the details below.
New Character: Leo Whitefang
Height: 196 cm (approximately 6’5″)
Weight: 83 kg (approximately 183 lbs.)
Blood Type: A
Country of Origin: Germany
Birthday: July 1
Hobbies: Editing his own dictionary
Affiliation: Allied Kingdom of Illyria (King #2)
Likes: Keeping records, pride
Dislikes: Pickles, people greater than him
Leo is one of the three kings that rules over Illyria. He has ties to Ky that date back to the Holy War, manifesting as both as a close friendship and rivalry. Renowned for both his leadership and combat skills, he’s a commander who’s very capable of bringing his soldiers back from missions alive, even on the most harrowing of battlefields that would spell doom for lesser men. Many mistake him for being a purely magnanimous sort based on his unrefined manner of speech, but deep down, he’s a calculating, cautious person. Full of pride, he hates losing and puts his all into most everything he does, no matter how big or small.
In his spare time, he likes to maintain his own dictionary of sorts, defining things like people and events on his own term, something he derives much enjoyment from. In the entry for “Demon,” for instance, he has the name of his older sister written down.
The Famitsu preview also includes breakdowns of various aspects of the console port’s online functionality. Here are the relevant bits condensed for ease of reading.
- Open lobbies can hold up to 64 players. Much like in the PS3 version of the recently released Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, players can chat with one another outside of matches here.
- Individual match settings can be customized prior to fighting in order to create rooms with an appropriate atmosphere and audience.
- In addition to actually joining in on fights directly, players can also watch other people’s matches within lobbies.
- Training Mode is available online for two players.
- All players, be they the ones actually fighting or just watching from sideline, can type into chat at any time during a match.
- In individual match lobbies, players can interject preset messages that have voiced lines attached spoken by the game’s cast.
- Players use in-game currency to buy songs from throughout Guilty Gear series history and use them as the background music for fights.
- Players can now not only save replay data of matches to their consoles locally, but they can also upload them online.
- Replay data can viewed frame-by-frame, as well affix short comments to them. Up to four of these can be attached to players’ R-Code, or their personal online data, which can then be viewed by others.
PlayStation 4 Version Tie-In Smartphone App Capabilities
- Price: Free
- Platforms: iPhone 4 and greater, Android 4.0 and greater (No PC version)
- Set up tournaments (including scheduling and rule settings)
- Verify tournament details
- Enter tournaments
- Review past tournament results
- Receive notifications about match commencements when entering tournaments
PlayStation 4 Features:
- Verify tournament details
- Dedicated lobby entry and guidance upon entering tournaments
- Verify matchups
- Fight in dedicated rooms
- View tournament results
Finally, Arc System Works announced hat 17 character system voice packs will available as paid DLC, starting on December 9. These will enable additional lines to be played at various parts of the game, such as the character select screen, when ranked matches commence, etc. Pricing details remain to be determined.
Guilty Gear Xrd: Sign is due out for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 on December 16 in North America and December 4 in Japan.
View a new set of screenshots at the gallery.