So I’m not sure if you guys have noticed, but the site looks different tonight.
Hopefully you have.
I’ve been developing this new design for the past week or so. It’s probably taken over 25 hours to create. It’s nuts. I sit down, start doing stuff, look at the time at what I think is a few minutes later, and BOOM, the clock’s moved five hours!
So here’s a bit about what’s new:
- Updates (on the home page, tag page, sidebar, and the older 3 in top stories) now use table HTML, rather than div HTML. I did this because tables allow us to vertically center post details. For an example, just visit the main page and look at a post with a one-line title, as compared to a post with a two-line title.
- Updates on the home page no longer include a cut-off excerpt. I figured they were kind of lame, considering it was only like, 10 words, and most of the time didn’t reveal much more about the post than the title did. So we’ve replaced it with the publish time and comment number.
- Updates on the home page now list the console or topic – in words – above the the post, each brand with its own respective color.
- A “Top 10 Games” section has been added to the sidebar. I picked the games that are currently listed based off reader interest, and they’ll change every so often, depending on what’s piquing your levels at the time. They’re in no specific order. I also added it to drive more activity towards the tag pages, as I think they’re super useful, but underutilized.
- The “Latest Comments” section on the sidebar has been simplified.
- Post comments have been completely redesigned. They’re much more simplified, but better-looking in the end, I think. And unlike the previous design, the comment form appears different from the actual comment.
- The gallery preview function has been given a facelift, and now better highlights the option to visit the complete gallery listing. See an example here.
- Our header, navigation bar, and user CP have been simplified. The new design incorporates only four real choices in the navigation bar, though more choices are available through the “More” dropdown list.
Feel free to share your thoughts. Looking for all the feedback I can get. Hopefully you guys will enjoy the new look just as much as I do.